Tuesday 14 May 2019

Creating My Website

Surprisingly, one of the parts of my project that took the longest and that I'm most satisfied with is actually my website. I am so so satisfied with how my website worked out! Below you can see a video walk through of the site, but you can access the site itself at...
https://maxiegeemail.wixsite.com/socialmedia



In this post I will very briefly run through my choices on each page...

Home.
The home page was the first page I designed, and was how I decided on my house style for - not only my website - but also my logo, which I was designing at the same time. I wanted the home page to be strong, stark and minimal. So I went for a slogan and a blurb in the central space, and below, a list of relevant facts that fade in as you scroll down. Considering this was the first page I completed, I am still so happy with it.

About Us.
The About Us page carries a theme that almost all the other pages also do - a big, bold greeting as the title with a teeny tiny thin underline. This was something I came up with when resizing my text and was a total accident but I am so happy with it.
The About page also really showcases the tone of voice I decided to go with on my site. My site is very silly and casual and I hope it can help engage my audience by not making the subject matter too serious.
The choice of photos here was also a coincidence. I was playing around with my camera, viewing files, and I really liked how the portraits looked stacked up.

Digi-Lessons.
The main Digi-Lessons page is one that I hadn't planned to spend too long on, as it wouldn't be used too much (I have a dropdown menu). I just threw on my video thumbnails and put text over the top, then added a hover animation.

Key Stage [x].
The actual digi-lesson pages are exactly how I always had in my head - sticking to the theme, short and too the point, and with a fact file so the viewer can just skim.

Resources.
The Resources page was really fun to do, as I got to use a slider for the first time! However, it did take me a lot time to get the positioning of it right, as I kept dropping it onto the footer...

Contact Us.
The design for my Contact page changed slightly after consulting with Gareth. I had originally planned to have a submission form on an otherwise blank page, but when having a totally unrelated conversation with Gareth, he mentioned that these forms sometime just... don't work? Because of this, I added lots of clear text to point to my email address to give my audience that option.

No comments:

Post a Comment